Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Eww! Tuna noodle casserole.

I think lots of us have a love hate relationship with good ole canned tuna. I use to hate it. My mother used to make the classic tuna noodle casserole and it was the most disgusting thing ever. For a long time after I wouldn't touch canned tuna. Tuna sandwich, no thank you. Once married I was introduced again to canned tuna. My husband would eat tuna salad sandwiches and not think twice. Nah, I'm all set, thanks. Well, I tried it again and ok, I could eat tuna salad snadwiches every now and again.

A couple of summers ago my family and I got together with another family for a BBQ. I brought our favorite potato salad. (Remember the most versatile veggie). They supplied the rest and the salad they had was pasta salad with....tuna. OK, so here was the dilemma. All I could think about was that awful tuna noodle casserole but you are at their home and the respectful thing is to try the salad. Noodles, canned tuna, peas, mayonnaise, and spices. I took some and tried it. Hey...I like it. I would eat it with a fox, I would eat it in a box, I would eat with a mouse, I would eat it in a house, I would eat it here or there, I would eat it anywhere (I have been reading Green Eggs and Ham to my daughter EVERY NIGHT). So, being so hot the other day I decided that it was time. I had some pasta, peas, and tuna. I added a can of chick peas too. YUM YUM YUM! 


Tuna Pasta Salad

This is what I used but please make it your own. 

2 cans of solid white tuna, drained
1/2 lb of rotini pasta
1/2 lb of frozen peas
1 15oz can of chick peas, drained
about 1/4 C of mayonnaise
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp celery salt
salt and pepper to taste

drain tuna and chick peas and add to bowl. Bring water to boil and cook pasta as directed. Add peas to pasta at the last minute. Drain pasta and peas and add to bowl. Add mayonnaise, onion powder, celery salt, and salt and pepper and combine. Cover and refrigerate for a at least 1 hour.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love canned tuna made as tuna fish for sandwhiches, but absolutely hate warm tuna casserole. In a cold salad on a hot day I may or may not, not sure why. So funny to connect with someone over this strange dislike. My wife can't figure it out...

    Jason
    http://ancientfirewineblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails