Monday, May 31, 2010

Which came first? The chicken or the egg?

When I can home last June and we had 6 baby chickens I knew that we would never have to buy eggs again. What I didn't know is that it would take so long for them to start laying. I would come home from grocery shopping see them running around (they are free range) and yell, "I had to buy another dozen eggs today girls.". Then one day my daughter found an egg...in the base of the trees. Well I guess they are laying but not in the their laying box, Finally, after keeping them in their coop for a week or so they started laying in their laying box. We were getting an egg a girl everyday. After a few months and a missing chicken we would have three dozen eggs in a refrigerator on a constant basis. What do we do with all these eggs? Egg salad, hard boiled eggs,....mmmm deviled eggs. The best way, in my opinion to have eggs. But its a lot of work peeling all those eggs. And there is something with these eggs that they just don't peel well. Put it this way you better be a great egg peeler if you were to uses these for company. Even after all this time I haven't figured out the best way to peel these eggs. But I can tell you the best boiling method that I have come across that works awesome. Not too undercooked and not too over boiled. But them in a pot with cold water. But them on the stove on high to boil. Once boiling rapidly, turn off heat and cover for ten minutes. Perfect every time.




I don't do anything special to my deviled eggs. Mayonnaise, either prepared mustard or powdered mustard, onion powder, celery salt, salt and pepper to taste. I put some dill and paprika on top for garnish. Some times a little slice of a green olive for garnish is nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails