Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Simple Sloppy Joes

There is something that just brings you back to your childhood when you eat a messy sloppy joe. Once I started cooking for my family and researching recipes I never thought of the idea of making my own sloppy joe. I always thought of the original Manwich in a can. Once I found the idea I refused to buy the mix in the can if I could just make it home and make it better for you. Well, my first attempt did not go over well and was low on the husband likes scale, the main person my food needs to please at this point of time. He then wanted me to buy the dreadful can. So I did and he liked it, but it was way too salty. How could I ever liked this as a kid. Ok, I will just try again and this time I will make it better so I will not have a can request again. I usually don't measure my ingredients when it come to things like chilies and spaghetti sauces so to get a recipe down on paper I had to measure all my ingredients out and make alterations as needed. I didn't even know where to start. I guessed on how much I used before when I made sloppy joes and also did some research online for others recipes to get measurement ideas. Come to think of it, I have never really created my own recipe before. So this is my first personal recipe to share with all of you. 




















Simple Sloppy Joes

2 lbs of ground beef or ground turkey
1 medium onion, choppped
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup Ketchup
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp paparika
salt and pepper to season
Brown beef or turkey  in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 2-3 minutes stirring frequently. Add rest of ingredients and let simmer for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. Spoon on sandwich rolls. 

Although, our natural instinct tells us to eat sloppy joes like a sandwich, I also enjoy eatting them open face. Take your rolls and turn them upright on your place and just pile the filling on top and eat with fork. Yum Yum Yum. Also good if not better as left overs for then next day lunch. I have not tried this myself yet, but I bet this recipe would freeze well too for those quick weeknight meals. 

Enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails