Thursday, August 26, 2010

Grilled Chicken with Fresh Tomatoes and Thyme

Again as usual I was looking for another recipe to use all these silly tomatoes in. I wanted something nice and fresh because really you need to take advantage of the summer months up here in New England and eat all the fresh garden food while you can. I also did not want to bake in the oven so I was subjected to finding recipes that used the stove top or grill. When I can across this recipe I was so excited. The picture that was posted with the recipe looked fantastic. Although, I did not use all the ingredients that the recipe called for it was still delish. It was even husband approved. Usually when I suggest chicken with really no marinade he will add some BBQ sauce for dipping. This dish was welcomed warmly and requested to be made again. This time I used 4th of July tomatoes. 4th of Julys are about half the size of a beef steak and  was perfect for just cutting the tomatoes in quarters and being in bite size pieces. The tomatoes warmed up with the thyme and the white wine vinegar just make the flavors burst in your mouth Next time I try this I think I will use cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes depending on if I make it before the garden ones have passed. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did.

Grilled Chicken with Fresh Tomatoes and Thyme
 makes 2 servings

2 chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes chopped
2 tablespoons chopped sun dried tomatoes (I did not add this)
2 teaspoons capers (optional - I also did not add)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons wine vineger
salt
pepper
thyme for garnish

Heat grill to medium high heat. Grill chicken breasts, turning once (about 7 minutes per side). Meanwhile, in a large skillet add tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, capers, garlic, thyme, oil, vineger, salt, and pepper. Heat only until warm. Spoon over chicken breast; garnish with thyme sprigs and serve. 

This recipe was adapted from a recipe in the June/July issue of Fine Cooking magazine.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. This looks so nice and light and healthy! This is what I should of had for dinner! Maybe tommorrow, thanks for the inspirations!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful. Fresh is usually the best way to go! I also like the wonderful cucumbers you had with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the inspiration for dinner tonight, have been struggling all day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails