Thursday, September 23, 2010

Alice Springs Chicken

My husband and I don't have much time to go out to dinner and enjoy ourselves. As a result we don't get to enjoy some of our favorite meals at restaurants that we go to. One night I wanted to make something special for my husband who wasn't having a great day. I had chicken out of the freezer and did a search online to gather some ideas of what to make.

I then came across the Alice Springs Chicken from the Outback restaurant. This is one of his favorite meals from this restaurant and I had most of the ingredients. What could be better then chicken smothered in mushrooms, bacon, and melted cheese after a hard day at work? The recipe that I found online called for the chicken to be marinated in a honey mustard marinade. I didn't have much time to get the chicken marinaded so I skipped the marinade, pan sheared the chicken in the pan, and just proceeded with the rest of the process. Oh and did I mention that I seared the chicken in the same pan that I cooked the bacon in? I added a little clog artery to the menu too :-).

I will give you the entire recipe so if you want the night before you can whip up the marinade and let it hang over night getting the full effect with your dinner.

Alice Springs Chicken


1 cup Dijon mustard
1 cup honey
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp lemon juice
4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
12 slices cooked bacon
3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley


Combine the mustard, honey, and 1 Tbsp of the oil along with the lemon juice and mix. Place the chicken in a 1 gallon ziplock bag and pour half the mixture on top. Refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. Save and chill the remaining marinade to serve later with the chicken. After chicken has marinaded: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the remaining oil in a frying pan, heat and sear chicken on both sides. Place chicken in an oven safe pan and brush liberally with the marinade. In the same pan add butter and saute the mushrooms. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place bacon strips across each breast, spoon mushrooms on top and then add approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of a cup of cheese on each breast. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake 7 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubble. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with honey mustard marinade.













 Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind having this wonderful chicken dish after a hard days work, your husband is a lucky guy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! My husband and I actually eat in more than out just because it's fun and relaxing to cook together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can make this for Margot and I anytime you want. Most excellent!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hokey smokes. With a beautiful dish like that, who needs to go out! It looks fantastic. Your husband and you are lucky to have each other and such a wonderful experience sharing meals together like that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails