Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chicken Bacon Roulades














Here we go again, but is there really something wrong with MORE chicken and bacon recipes? I didn't thinking so. As you can see, there is a very nice roll roulade here on the plate. What you did not see is me stuffing 5 slices of bacon into each one and trying to roll the chicken up and then making the roulade into a pin cushion with tooth picks trying to hold it together. I should have taken a picture for you. I am always over filling my chicken and then having to use 10 tooth picks each to hold them together. I always remember where they are but my husband usually eats one or two that he left in.

The one thing I did not do, besides only putting 2 or 3 slices of bacon in, was strain the sauce. I like all the little nibblets in my sauce. Plus, I don't have a fine mesh sieve.Christmas is coming, I'll send you my address ;)

My favorite part of this recipe and all others that need chicken or what ever meat flattened is pounding. I don't go your conventional route using a meat mallet. Again I do not own one. So I use a cast iron frying pan. This way it also flattens all over instead of with a mallet you need to pound all around so one side isn't fatter then the other. Just give that meat of choice a few good even whacks and there you go, flat meat and a frustration relaxer.

OK, so now I have lied to you all. I also used regular onion and not shallots. Quick call the food police. I rarely buy shallots for recipes. I figure what is the real difference I can just use onions I have them on hand. I know that shallots have a slightly different taste but that doesn't stop me.

Here is the recipe and don't be shy. If you LOVE bacon, fill it up. I got 5 piece in each you can too.

Chicken Bacon Roulades

4 shallots, thinly sliced
10 bacon slices
4 skinless boneless chicken breast
Lemon pepper seasoning or ground black pepper and lemon zest
6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic mashed 
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 1/2 Tbsp flour
1 1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 heavy cream

Cook the bacon in an over proof skillet until lightly brown and still flexible. Drain on paper towel. Cook shallots in the remaining bacon grease until softened. Transfer shallots using a slotted spoon and leave any remaining fat in skillet. Preheat over to 300 degrees. Place each chicken breast between to pieces of plastic wrap and pound til the breast is about 1/8 inch thick. Discard top sheet of plastic wrap. Sprinkle chicken with lemon pepper seasoning and salt. Place 2-3 pieces of bacon length wise along the middle of each breast. Top with shallots and Parmesan. Using the plastic wrap to help you, tightly roll up each breast lengthwise, tucking the ends to enclose the filling. Secure seams with wooden toothpicks. Add olive oil to reserved fat in skillet add heat over medium high heat. Brown the roulades on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until cooked though, about 20-25 minuets. Transfer chicken to place with tongs and keep warm, cover with aluminum foil. Pour fat off from skillet. Add wine to the skillet and deglaze over medium high heat. Boil wine until reduced about 1 tablespoon. Add garlic and butter. Cook mixture over medium low, stirring for about 1 minute. Add flour and cook roux. Add broth and cream and bring to boil, whisking. Simmer, while whisking, for about 2 minutes. Pour though a fine mesh sieve into a small saucepan and keep warm. Remove wooden toothpick slice crosswise. Spoon some sauce in the center of 4 plates and arrange roulades slices in sauce.

OK, again I didn't follow directions. I swear I wasn't like this in school. I sliced my chicken and poured the sauce on top. Like it really matters, you do as you wish. I like it better on top.

Enjoy!!     

3 comments:

  1. looks great- anything that includes bacon and entails whacking is always a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way, can never have enough recipes with bacon! I love all the bacon peeking out of the middle! Can't wait to try this!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look fantastic, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails