Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Taco Pasta Toss


As some of you already know I am a lover of Mexican food and love me some tacos when I can get them. When I came across this recipe in the Everyday with Rachel Ray (no that is not where I got the idea for my blog title. I am just not very creative) I thought I should give it a try. I mean what can be wrong, taco meat, pasta, lettuce, and tomato. It was met with a little bit of discussion and after all was said and done aka I said this is what we are having and that's it, I made it. 

I loved it being this is was what I was looking for. My husband liked the flavor but thought that texture of the pasta was strange to him. Which I can understand. When you are so used to eating tacos with your hard shell and then we introduce pasta to the dish it can be a bit disturbing. But as all know I like to add a little change and flavor to my meals. Love my Ole El Paso taco dinner kits but this was a great way to change up a favorite and make the meal a bit more sophisticated. 

This meal also ended up feeding my picky daughter some meat too. I skipped the lettuce and tomato topping but she ate devoured this meal 2 days in a row. I love it when I can get her to eat what we are eating. Something other then PB&J or processed food from a can or box. I mean what kid doesn't like tacos? Well my daughter would never try a taco with a shell but, HA HA, she liked this.

Pasta Taco Toss

Salt and Pepper
1 pound penne rigate (or your choice of pasta)
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 pound of ground beef
1 large chopped onion
1 large jalapeno chili - halved, seeded if desired and thinly sliced crosswise
4 cloves of garlic, finally chopped
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 12 ounce bottle of beer or 1/ 1/2 cup chicken stock
2 cups shredded cheddar, monterey jack, or any Mexican semi-soft cheese
2 small plum tomatoes , seeded and chopped
1/4 head iceberg lettuce or 1/2 small heart romaine lettuce, chopped

Bring a large pot of water to boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and return to the pot. While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat olive oil, over medium - high heat. Add the beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add 3/4 of the onion, the jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, coriander, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is softened, 6 - 7 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute, then stir in beer. Add the sauce to the pasta and toss. Spoon into a serving dish, top with cheese and tent with foil to melt the cheese, about 1 minute. Top with remaining onion, the tomatoes and lettuce - just like tacos!

Enjoy!! 




2 comments:

  1. I love tacos and pasta too so I will have to try it. Thanks for posting. RR is the best!

    Danette Baker
    Spokane WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of taco salads but never taco pasta. This is really creative!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails